Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:31:09 -0500
I always ask about breast change during pregnancy when a mother calls with
a supply problem at initiation. But when I *see* the breast I am better
able to see if there is a glandular problem.

I had a client this week whose baby was very fussy at breast and whose
mature milk came in rather late. I asked on the phone about breast change
during pregnancy and she said that she didn't have much change and no
increase in cup size. I was expecting to see those widely-spaced, conical
breasts or very small pubescent breasts. But what I saw was roundness
underneath and all round the breast. Her breasts were rather widely spaced,
but the roundness was there between so I was relieved. Her breasts had been
small and she never bothered to have a "well-fitting" bra, so the bra that
she had offered plenty of room for the "rounding."

All that the little one needed was to learn a proper latch and he was on
his way.

So, as usual, "How much..." is not what it is about. I'm glad that I know
that breast configuration can be a piece of the puzzle in exploring cause
of low production, but I'm also glad that I know that it is only one piece.

I had a friend who says that she takes her figure from her dad, but she
made plenty of rich milk for her chubby babies.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]