From:
Susan Brewer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:40:08 -0600
to the Wise Ones:
Where would I be without the wealth of information Lactnet
generates!

I have just heard of an issue that requires addressing. The majority
of our mothers have epidurals and /or Stadol. At the last Perinatal
Meeting one of theOBs who uses Stadol - as they all do - asked
about the effects this drug has on the babies. I am not sure why he
asked, probably one of the mothers we talked to about the
possibility of Stadol affecting her baby's non-performance at the
breast mentioned it to him. The Nursery Supervisor - who is very
supportive of breastfeeding - pointed out that the babies are
drowsy and remain so for some time and that we have noticed it
particularly in reference to breastfeeding. Can anyone guide me to
references re the use of Stadol and it's effect on babies (my axe to
grind is of course breast feeding - it is hard to describe to an
obstetrician how hard it is to get a Stadol ( maybe it is the epidural-
how can one differentiate if the mothers get both?) recipient to
breastfeed if at best he can take the breast in to his mouth and
then not know what to do with it!!!) I know I am not alone in this
dilemna from reading previous posts - however the written word is
important here. Thanks in advance!
Susan Brewer RNC IBCLC