From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:00:42 -0600
(this short article introduces an idea that I think very few other countries
may have recognized - that breastmilk is a domestic product that could and
should be valued, such as in the GDP.  While we breastfeeding advocates will
immediately see a flaw in her implemention (that the target is only one year
of breastfeeding, and that breastfeeding beyond one year is a "surplus"), I
suppose this is at least a starting point, since the US has such a long way
to go, to have the majority of children breastfed to a natural age of
weaning.

Janice Reynolds)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nanette-fondas/baby-friendly-america-clo_b_164
434.html

Baby-Friendly America? Close the Milk Gap
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nanette-fondas/baby-friendly-america-clo_b_16
4434.html>

We've heard of the trade gap, wage gap, and gender gap. Now comes the "
<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/01/19/090119fa_fact_lepore> milk
gap."

It is the gap between the time a mother is able to feed her newborn baby
breast milk and the twelve months that pediatricians recommend.

<snip>

To become a more family-friendly country, we need to become more
baby-friendly and help mothers close the milk gap.

Most babies have a milk deficit: they breastfeed for less than one year.

 (see link for full article)

Janice Reynolds