From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:26:40 -0400
Well, we know the first 2 weeks are critical (don't we?) - when BF gets off
to a good start or stalls.
And babies are supposed to be seen 48-72 hours after discharge, so this is
when small problems can be corrected before they become train wrecks like so
many of us see later on.  I'd spend a fair amount of time on these early
problems-  critical red flags to look for- good focus on phone triage,
too...For first 6 mo, concentrate on exclusive if possible, going back to
work problems, Vit D, how to know when baby is giving cues for solids, what
to do  if mom or baby is ill, NIP,  how to refer to mother support groups.
Chris Mulford said "mom needs to know how to recognize if she has a problem
and who to contact" re: the problem.  Is it a medical problem or a parenting
problem?  Mention briefly issues like biting, breast refusal/nursing
strikes, weaning and so on.  Personally, I'd go heavy on the beginning and
lighter on the rest.  Good luck with your curriculum. Be sure to share us
after and let us know what worked and what didn't.   Pat in SNJ