Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 09:58:29 +0800
On 26/11/2006, at 3:36, Nina Berry wrote:

> There is a power dynamic between doctors and nurses (which can be
> compounded
> if the doc is man and the nurse is a woman) and doctors and just about
> anyone else who is not a doctor.  (Have you ever noticed how the way a
> person is spoken to in emergency changes dramatically when the staff
> discover that he/she is a doctor?)  This can make it really tough
> to make
> that phone call.  I am wondering if you can give those of us non-
> docs some
> tips about how to approach this without antagonising the person we are
> speaking to.

The golden rule, I think, is to always assume the best. Approaching
the conversation from the point of view that there has been an
inadvertent misunderstanding, perhaps in the gap between doctor's
advice and patient's understanding, might be one useful way to go.
(Not forgetting that not uncommonly, there has been.)  Without
leaving a space in which the HCP must feel clearly obliged to either
defend themselves or "own up":

"Hello Dr Blah, I'm xyz, I thought I'd briefly let you know about our
consultation today. I am concerned that Ms Lala may have
misunderstood some advice on ABC, because she seemed to be under the
impression that [etc]. My breastfeeding assessment was [insert
assessment/recommendation here]. I'll write a followup report to your
office address. [any medical followup needed]"

(consider adding something you think the doctor will find credible/
authoritative, a highlighted AAP guideline or similar, to the
consultation report letter, making it look like a routine addition
(perhaps it should be?) if you feel this would be useful.)

Lara Hopkins