Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:56:06 -0500
Sara, I wrote once on Lactnet about a woman who adopted a baby from
overseas who was 1+ year old.  The baby was quite insecure and mom decided
to hold, touch, sleep with, do every skin to skin thing she could think of.
 Baby clung to her constantly for several months, then, gradually Dad was
OK sometimes.  Mom didn't have feeding at breast as a goal, just
"gestation."  Somewhere around 1 3/4 years mom was taking the usual nap,
with baby and herself bare, and she awoke with baby feeding at the breast.
No milk, no SNS, just connecting. He continued to nurse for a long time.

Now, your case is different because this mom wants to lactate and feed the
baby.  But the above story tells us something important.

I would encourage constant baby wearing, skin to skin, kangaroo care style,
and  with this connection, baby might go to breast with SNS or with
whatever milk Mom can make.  But if baby doesn't they will have connected
on a cellular level, benefitting them both for life. Not one touch or
cuddle will be wasted.

Another thing I would recommend is Cranio-sacral/Rebirthing treatments,
done by a practitioner experienced in working with infants.  Whatever
experiences this baby has had in her short life he could benefit from a "do
over."

I will give my opinion on the following of your considerations:

>*attempts at bf were met with arching, screaming

Here is where C-S/ Rebirthing could help.

>*using Haberman now--baby won't open really wide to take nipple deeply into
>her mouth
>*Is an orthodontic nipple such as Nuk a possible benefit?

I would prefer the Haberman because of the adjustable flow and the long,
straight teat. A C-S practitioner would work with baby on oral issues. In
the meantime I would recommend a teat that is slow-flowing and short enough
to not be a threat to her mouth.

>*mom interested in mouth & jaw development

C-S, again.

>**baby sucks on bottom lip, seemingly for comfort & to relieve stress; she
>stopped this, and resumed after church on Sunday

C-S/ Rebirthing

I have seen some amazing work lately with my OT who does Cranio-Sacral and
Rebirthing work.  I'm going to write up one for Lactnet because I presented
the original problem about 8 weeks ago.

I believe that this infant can feed at the breast if Mom is as dedicated as
she sounds.  I have had 3 clients whose babies refused the breast for 3
months, then latched on and never looked back.  The success was due to
dedication, lots of skin, patience, and a belief that it could happen.

Did I write about the Mom who told another LC, "I kept offering her the
breast because Pat Gima said that the day *before* she feeds at the breast,
she will *not* be at the breast.  If I quit trying, it might be the day
before she would get it. Tomorrow might be the day." Her baby latched on
after 3 months of "invitation."

Good luck to her.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee