Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 20:23:15 -0500
Aspirating the stomach is an intervention. I believe your concerns are
justified. It should be the burden of the person who advocates the
intervention, in this case 3 hospitals, which come up with the evidence that
it is better for the baby. I'll be there is no such study.  If they can't
come up with evidence, they should stop this intervention. I believe, but am
not sure, that there is evidence that deep suction may induce apnea in the
newborn, and there is a study from Scandinavia that it interferes with
breastfeeding.

Widstrom A-M, Ransjo-Arvidson AB, Christensson K, Mattiesen A-S, Winberg J,
Uvnas-Moberg K. Gastric suction in healthy newborn infants. Acta Paediatr
Scand 1987;76:566-72

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC