From:
Bruce Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 15:53:54 -0400
Hello back on the list while trying to catch up on life since we discovered
that our third, and supposedly last child, is going to be a big brother in
March.

I recently got a call from a mom who is battling mastitis and discovered
blood in her milk.  The leader she was in contact with wasn't home so she
called me in a panic.  All the information I could find in my Breastfeeding
Answer Book didn't mention mastitis being a cause of blood in milk.  I read
her what I had and referred her to her doc and regular leader (who has been
doing this for years longer and probably knows a lot more on blood in milk
than I).   But now I am wondering if anyone has every had a mom have blood
in her milk during a bout of mastitis?

The blood was from her infected side she hadn't tried the other yet and her
son was just home from the NICU (hence why I was hesitant in just giving
her info on nursing through it).  I told her that the majority of causes
would resolve on their own (interductal papolomia, vascular engorgement,
etc) or that it could be her breast pump.

Anyone know if blood in milk is related to mastitis?

TIA

Felicia Henry
Bradley Instructor
La Leche League Leader