Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:49:31 EDT
This may explain a lot of the problems that we see now...
I have been asked to teach the breastfeeding portion of the local nursing school's maternal and infant class. The instructor sent me the course info she wanted me to teach. Some of the stuff includes:
Compressing the breast so the bay can breathe
Using tea bags to relieve sore nipples
Using cabbage as an antibiotic (topically ) for mastitis
Using geranium leaves topically for mastitis
Using Bellodona topically for mastitis
Babies need to have 10 -20 wet diapers every day
Breastfeeding mothers need to drink 3 quarts of water each day
Breastfeeding moms need to eat 500 extra calories a day
Baby needs to gain 1-2 oz a day. ( so that can be 14 oz a week--what a lot of pressure to put on a mom).

What a recipe for disaster. Just changing the 20 diapers a day is enough to make me want to not Breastfeed.
So I get to correct all this information and provide all the BFing Information that nurses need to know in a total of 1 hr and 15 min!!!!

I also have 4 bfing Conferences and classes to teach in the next 2 months and need to update my presentations to powerpoint which is the "in " thing now. Guess I am going to be dragged into the new technology after all. My husband said he would help me which will be nice.

Barbara Whitehead, IBCLC
Eastern NC