Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 11:15:02 PDT
Content-Type:
TEXT/PLAIN
Parts/Attachments:
TEXT/PLAIN (42 lines)
I have a question regarding yeast infections that I have not previously seen on lactnet. Let
me first share this mother's history, as it may be relevant.

This woman  has been taking prednisone through her pregnancy for renal insufficiency.Her baby
is now 7 months old, and she has just finished being weaned from it.

She was taking anti-biotics during her pregnancy, and at 3 days pp, started a yeast infection.
Her doc gave her nystatin, but the baby was not treated. The infection continued, until at 3
months pp the doc prescribed two days of diflucan, 150mg  a day.
The infection *returned* after two weeks.

The doc then gave her 10 days worth of diflucan, 150mg a day. She said that she eventually
persuaded him to call Ruth Lawrence, who suggested taking 150 mg once a week, indefinately.
She did that for 3 months, and there was a little improvement.

10 weeks later, the yeast infection flared up again.That is when she called me.

I shared with her all of Pat Gima's excellent suggestions, and she followed them faithfully.
She persuaded her doc to increase the diflucan dosage - he gave her 400mg stat, then 200mg for
2 weeks. (Yes, I did explain that it was recommended to take it until two weeks AFTER the
symptoms had disappeared.) She also used gentian violet for three days.

She is now 10 days into this latest round of diflucan, and has seem SOME improvement. The
burning stabbing pains have gone, her nipples are less red and shiny, but it still huirts when
she nurses. She plans to ask her doc to give her a further prescription for diflucan.

She called me this morning to ask if it was normal to feel an internal itching in her breasts,
and wondered whether this was part of the healing process. I have never heard of this before,
so she gave me permission to ask on this forum. Please reply both privately and here, as I am
sure others will want to know too.

Many thanks!

Norma (in Big Flats NY, where summer has just returned with a vengence, after a few beautiful
crisp autumn days).

Norma Ritter IBCLC
Breastfeeding Matters <[log in to unmask]>
"If not now, when? If not us, who?" R. Hillel

ATOM RSS1 RSS2