From:
Virginia Wall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 11:10:51 -0700
Whoa!  I was so glad to see your observation that maybe what we're calling
yeast isn't yeast at all.  I've been following the Lactnet discussion with
interest, and wondered if I was the only one who thought that maybe the
dramatic increase in yeast infections was in part due to over-diagnosis.

I once had a client with CLASSIC thrush symptoms, but when she was still
symptomatic after 5 weeks of various antifungal medications (including the
one-time dose of Diflucan), I referred her to a dermatologist.  Guess what
the dermatologist diagnosed?!  Impetigo, treated successfully with a
combination antibiotic and cortisone ointment.

My approach now is to refer clients to a dermatologist if traditional
antifungal treatment is unsuccessful after two weeks.