From:
Janice Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 14:08:40 -0400
In its "Scientific Update," Reed Mangels, Ph. D., R.D. includes a section
titled "New Statements from the AAP." The feature began with "The American
Academy of Pediatrivs (AAP), a widely recognized organization of
pediatricians, has developed two statements of interest to vegetarian
parents." Oh, good, I thought -- they're going to mention the landmark
statement on breastfeeding. Not exactly.

"The first deals with the level of fat recommended for children ..."

"The AAP's second statement deals with soy protein-based infant formulas.
These formulas (not soymilk) are safe alternatives [does the AAP really say
"safe"?] to breast milk or cow milk-based formulas. The AAP lists 'parents
seeking a vegetarian-based diet for a term infant' as one of a number of
conditions where soy formulas SHOULD [emphasis mine, since I am screaming]
be used." Excuse me? I didn't read the AAP's "Soy protein-based formulas:
Recommendations for use in infant feeding" (Pediatrics 101: 148-153), but I
find it extremely hard to believe that the AAP would have said that parents
seeking a vegetarian-based diet for a term infant SHOULD give soy-based
formula instead of breastmilk. This is extremely irresponsible advice!

Please write and tell them what you think: You can e-mail [log in to unmask] or
clog up their message board: http://www.vrg.org/feedback/

Thanks,
Janice Berry
Columbus, OH