From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 20:59:51 -0700
In our hospital the LC's that are hired as such, and practice only as such.  They only work four-hour days, therefore cannot be pulled to a staff assignment.  They have more work than can fit into their allotted time, and they have to be very strong not to put in 8-hour days for 4-hour pay.  It is the RN who gets pulled into the LC role, because there is no LC the other 20 hours/day.  Because I usually  work in tandem with at least a care partner(for max 5 moms and their babies), and often with an LVN, as well (then 7 dyads) babies; and because my team is especially BF friendly, I spend most of my day teaching breastfeeding and doing paperwork.
My team does the rest.  The good thing about this approach is that I do not have to keep running to answer lights when a mom needs someone with time and patience, as well as skills to assist her.

I like the idea of offering a hospital based course for non-RN's, to learn to work at the bedside and to learn when she/he must call for the RN.  Perhaps like the mom-volunteers at Evergreen.
 I have thought that one way many aspiring LC s could start getting the hours they need to sit for the exam, would be to do an orientation with the hospital LCs, follow the LC around for a period of time, and then volunteer for one or more 4-hour shifts per week when the LCs aren't in house.  This would increase the no. of hours per day that parents  have that additional person to pay attentiion only to BF.
Just think, the hospital could offer an LC program, like they offered a doulah program.  Maybe they could even charge the participants, thus bringing revenue into the department, to pay for more official LC time...dream on, Chanita.

Sincerely, Chanita