From:
Amir family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:42:26 +1100
<She went to clinic (red breast, temp 103, flu like or
worse) and saw midwife and was put on Diclox. Midwife called me today as mom
feels its getting worse.Any suggestions I fear she harbors resistant
bacteria given her first experience>
It sounds like the antibiotics were appropriately prescribed as she has
signs and symptoms of mastitis and a past history of an abscess. When
mastitis is infective, the usual organism is S. aureus - usually resistant
to penicillin, but sensitive to dicloxacillin, etc. Rarely the staph is
resistant to dicloxacillin. Even when women develop an abscess, the bacteria
are still usually sensitive to these antibiotics - it is just that they are
the sort of bacteria that just love to form boils and abscesses.
In this case, if the woman is getting worse she may need admission to
hospital for intravenous antibiotics (and to be looked after).
Lisa Amir
MBBS, MMed, IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia