From:
"Sue Wirth, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 23:15:44 -0400
Happy Spring to all of you!  I'm a private LC in the Berkeley, CA area.  I
have 5 children; Russell 17, Darrell 15, Geoffrey 12, Laurel 9 and Andrew 17
months.  It's been a real education to have been breastfeeding in my 20's and
30's and now in my 40's.  I am enjoying all the reactions and comments, etc.
from my older children about their much younger sibling.  I started having
symptoms related to low estrogen before the last pregnancy and I'm curious
how that effects older breastfeeding women in general.

I got a question from a mom of twins (now weaned) saying she started having
breast pain  about 6 months after weaning (at 15 months).  She describes the
pain as aching, mostly in one breast but occaisionally in both.  She says it
seems to get worse with weather changes.  She has seen both a GYN doctor and
a family practice doctor.  The family practice doctor could actually find a
sore place in her breast.   She wasn't symptomatic when she saw the other
doctor.  He told her the place was extra tissue perhaps caused by stretching
from the large milk supply she had with the twins. Does anyone have any
information for this woman.  I have already directed her to our local
Breast Health Center, questioned her about yeast, other medical conditions,
etc.