From:
Nan Jolly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 16:23:56 +0200
I am always amazed that babies in developed countries are allowed to risk
formula-caused illness, simply because the infrastructure (sanitation,
medical etc) is better at rescuing them.

Does no-one care that they need all that infrastructure to keep them alive?
That they get sick so often? That despite excellent infrastructure, some
still die. It seems that only when babies die in large numbers does anyone
notice that formula can be dangerous.
Nan Jolly MB BCh. IBCLC. LLLL
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

<<Coovadia said it was reasonable for Western doctors to think that
bottle-feeding is essential to protect HIV-negative babies. It is part of
the range of interventions that has nearly eliminated mother-to-child
transmission of HIV in the United States. But in Africa, breast-feeding
offers so many nutritional and health benefits to newborns and infants that
it outranks childhood vaccines in reducing risk of disease. "It is, far and
away, the most superior way to prevent deaths of children in the developing
world,'' Coovadia said. >>