From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:23:44 +0800
>I would appreciate some information regarding slow healing and low
>estrogen levels. I did a search but did not find much information. I
>received a phone call from a mother who had a baby in our level lll NICU 4
>months ago. She said she is still not healed from her vaginal delivery.
>Her OB wants her to D/C BF due to low estrogen level. This mom wants to BF
>for at least one year. He did give her estrogen cream. Is there any other
>info I should give her? I did suggest a second opinion regarding the Dx.
>This mom is in pain which is also affecting her relationship with her
>husband. Any ideas would help.                             Thanks, Sheila

She shouldn't have to stop breastfeeding because of this. The Dr obviously
doesn't value breastfeeding very highly. I was at a NMAA Group meeting
recently where there was a guest speaker, a physiotherapist speaking about
what a physio can do for new mums. One of the things she mentioned was
treatments they do for mums with damage and scarring after vaginal
deliveries. I remember this particularly because I would have loved to have
known this 14 years ago! Perhaps this is something she could try.

BTW are our (Australian) physiotherapists the same thing as American
'physical therapists'? Ours are the people who work on muscles, etc
particularly when you put your back out (as opposed to chiropractors who
focus on the bones), treat sports injuries, etc. They also do lots of
ultrasound on all sorts of bits of the body (including breasts), and give
you exercises to strengthen various muscles of the body. Just curious what
you (in other countries) call these people.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]