Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:27:14 +0100
>Thank you to everyone who has responded. My initial reaction was the
>same as most of yours: "Why Soy?"
>
>But I am trying hard in my counseling to answer the first questions
>first, before i dump a lot of un-expected information in a
>non-client's lap!

Very important,  Eva!

But we can develop 'tricks' which allow us to be mother-centred and
to use counselling skills, and still not necessarily answer the first
question first....especially for this sort of question, and another
far, far more common one (for me) which is

"Hi, I need a breastpump and my midwife told me you were the right
person to call.'

In fact, I am *not* as I don't have breastpumps, but of course I know
where she can get them.

So I say, 'Hi, yes, NCT does have breastpumps, and we can certainly
help you with that, but can I first just ask some questions, so you
can be sure we're helping you in the right way?"

So I suppose that is 'answering the first question first', just not
fully!  It is actually very common that a mother has been advised to
use a breastpump inappropriately, or it is only one of a range of
options that might meet her needs, or the ones we hire are the
'wrong' sort for her situation and she might prefer to buy her own.

If I am asked 'where can I get soya formula?'  (which I am,
occasionally, but don't think I have ever been asked for organic
versions), I would say, 'Yes, I am sure I can help you track some of
this down in your area, but if it's all right with you, can I just
ask one or two questions, to make sure you have all the information
you need before you choose it?'

Ditto with nipple shields.

Obviously, if someone declined to let me ask the questions, I
wouldn't persist!  But I don't think we have to tread quite as
carefully as you imply.

Just MHO :)

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK