From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 20:17:47 EDT
Hi Laurie,
 I saw a Mom with a similar type of experience with her child. I was visiting
her as the VNA nurse with her 2nd child-newborn, when she found out I was
also an LC. She went on to describe how important nursing was for her with
this baby since she had weaned her first- now 14 mths at the time, "far too
early". Her first started with "colic type" symptoms in very early infancy,
Mom began supps d/t exhaustion which began a downward spiral of trying to
find the right formula and resulting weaning from the breast. The Mom has
been trying since a year to wean this baby from Nutra....gen to cows milk and
every time she gets close the baby becomes extremely constipated to the point
where the stools aren't passable. Her feeling at the time of my consult was
that if she had cont'd at breast the probs may not have been so severe, the
baby has also had some frighteningly severe allergic reactions to some fds.
but is especially sensitive to any dairy. I found it strange that this baby
has been managed exclusively by her pedi up to this pt. w/o further consults
with GI, allergists etc. I gave the Mom the name of a GI doctor that I knew
and trusted.
The newborn was nursing well at the time of the consult but interestingly the
Mom calld the next day- the newborn had vomitted some blood on a few
different instances despite Mom's very intact nipples- she was taking the
baby in to the pedi...
By the time of our next conversation the mom had weaned this baby- Dx - a
severe milk allergy and this baby was put on Nutr...gen. Mom was a wreck
anticipating much the same course as the first, but worse since this new
baby's symptoms were seemingly earlier and more severe. Interestingly she had
been dairy free for 2 wks p/t delivery-Yikes!!! I was at a loss for
suggestions and since Mom was decisive-i left it at that! Any ideas??!!
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin, Massachusetts