From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 21:56:10 -0800
>So, I tried to show her the exercises, she had a violent reaction, feels
>immediately nauseated and dizzy (I've never seen vertigo, but I would say it
>looks alot like the expression/reaction she had).  Any kind of touching
>exercises like that.  MIL says she understands this gal has been like this
>all her life.  Very sensitive in the breast region.  Aside from sexual abuse,
>has anyone heard of this and what helped?

I have seen this vigorous a reaction two or three times. At those times I
assumed it to be the upper end of normal.  Many women will describe feeling
light headed or weak with nipple stimulation that induced let down.  I don't
remember asking if they had been very sensitive prior to pregnancy.
         In one particular case the woman had such a strong reaction she was
afraid to be carrying the infant in case she did let down.  This was a young
physician who was extremely motivated and went on to breastfeed for an
extended period.  She described it as being "high" and "what I have heard
heroin feels like"  A real rush with nausea and dizziness.  It created
considerable anxiety initially but diminshed over the first few weeks.  It
was only unmanagable for the first few days. Fortunately she had lots of
help and ensured she was sitting down and had the infant brought to her,
rather than fetching it herself. She was also a very calm, relaxed parent.
        The other case that immediately comes to mind was a low income
single, teen mother who was convinced she was going crazy.  (Actually the
physician-mom wasn't too confident about her sanity either!)  This led to
extreme levels of anxiety as she was afraid her infant would be removed from
her care.  She tried to cope without discussing it with anyone for several
days.  She really WAS in great mental distress by the time she phoned.
Again it was worst in the first few days and continued for a few weeks
lessening over time.  She did not have assistance so tried to ensure the
infant was well supported and set the infant down if she experienced let
down while walking and carrying it.
        Both women had average to small breasts, no known history of
hormonal abnormalities, no difficulty conceiving, and had abundant milk
supplies. Both credibly denied any abuse.  They were very different
personalities in very different life situations.  I have just assumed they
had either a strong response to prolactin or a strong release of prolactin
at let down. In the first case the mom did have sore nipples which were
easily corrected by simple positioning changes.  Both women initially fed on
demand, frequently.  The single teen mom began avoiding feedings due to her
fear which led to problems with supply.  This resolved rapidly once she was
reassured she wasn't going insane, she was taught simple precautions and the
feelings diminished. It must be made clear I was conscious of the
possibility of abuse, PPD or PP Psychosis. It was VERY clear in both cases
that the feelings were distressingly overwhelming.  I really would
understand why a woman would find it increasingly difficult to continue
breastfeed.
--"Without interest and passion nothing great has ever happened in history.
Hegel"
               Rhoda Taylor, B.A., IBCLC   Duncan, B.C., Canada--