From:
Ani Simonoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2017 04:21:19 +0000
Hi all,

I am in a new role as a lactation consultant at a birthing hospital (have
been a peds nurse previously). I am curious and looking for some advice
from those of you with experience. How do you approach mothers when you
make your rounds? I want to help moms breastfeed exclusively but I'm
finding I often have a hard time starting off the conversation. Some moms I
see have not fed the baby at all yet, and some may have already started
with formula (I don't always know before I go in, and no, we are not Baby
Friendly at this time), I want to get them in the mindset to breastfeed and
not supplement, but I'm not sure I am conveying it in the right way. Any
tips and suggestions?  Also, we are dealing with many cultural barriers
against breastfeeding, so whatever I say when I first see them has to
strike a cord.

On another note, since I am already writing you all...what sites and
sources can you recommend for breastfeeding education handouts and
materials for our hospital?

Thanks in advance!

--
Ani Simonoff RN, BSN, CPN, IBCLC