From:
The Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 23:09:21 -0700
Melinda,

Sounds like you are already well on the way to resolving this problem.
It must be very difficult for mom when the cure is wait and be patient
and she is feeling pressure to get started because of custody issues.The

things you have already done or suggested are all great ideas.

It is sounding to me like more than suctioning and intubation may be
involved in the oral aversion.  Force feeding babies with bottles
(although no one would ever call it that) is very common in my
experience in hospital nurseries.  Nursery nurses seem to feel it is
more kind to "encourage" a baby to take all of his "required"
milliliters of milk by manipulating the bottle nipple in his mouth until

the milk comes out and he is forced to swallow it than to tube feed
him.  (I think in this country managed care and a rush to get the baby
out of the hospital are a big part of the reason why babies are expected

to gain weight immediately and quickly, and thus the REQUIRED intake.)
Also, not all nurses are careful to watch a baby for signs of stress
during feeding and may continue pushing the baby to eat when he needs to

stop and breathe.  I have posted before concerning Marjorie Palmer's
lecture in which she states that these babies may stop eating altogether

at 3-5 months of age when sucking becomes volitional rather than
reflexive and the baby may have to be fed by gastrostomy tube.

Several things need to be considered in how to feed this baby until he
is willing to breastfeed.  Cup feeding would be good because it would
avoid anything being forced into his mouth.  However, if he is already
sucking on fingers and finds this pleasant, finger feeding might be a
good option since the more methods we introduce, the less likely he will

be able to cope.  I think the most important thing is to not force
anything into his mouth and to watch him carefully for signs of stress,
allowing him to rest as often and for as long as he needs to.  Being
made to eat when you need to take a breath can be very stressful.

How blessed this family is to have you available to help them through
this stressful time.  Even if they don't call you, I'm sure it helps
just knowing they can.

Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC
from the sunny S.W. USA where short sleeves and sandals are confortable
on this winter day