From:
Chris Mulford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:07:14 -0400
Womensenews is an email news service that I receive. They generally do a
good job with breastfeeding coverage, and they've done it again this year in
time for WBW. Go to this link to read "Breastfeeding Push Turns to Workplace
Obstacles."

http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/2844

Aside from using the Ross statistics (when CDC makes data available that are
not tied to the infant feeding industry), I think author Juhie Batia did a
good job. Her article almost sets up a conversation between a nursing mom on
the brink of going back to work and the people at OWH (Office on Women's
Health, U.S. Dept of Health & Human Services) who were behind the Ad Council
campaign.

The mom who is returning to work says, "I can't feel bad if I don't make it
to six months. If I have to supplement with formula, I'll have to be OK with
it." But instead of totally bashing the OWH for running its
risks-of-formula-based ad campaign, Batia explains why OWH chose that
strategy. Finally, she quotes the mom again, saying "Why not campaign with
companies to create lactation rooms instead, or give us a more flexible
schedule and provide that right through the Family and Medical Leave Act?"
This is pointing the finger where it needs to be pointed...at the lack of
protection that our country provides to childbearing families...lack of paid
maternity leave and guaranteed breastfeeding breaks for women in the
workplace.

The buzz I heard at ILCA is that OWH *does* plan to target the workplace for
its next breastfeeding campaign. Hallelujah!

It's time for me to send Womensenews another donation...this time in honor
of World Bf Week.

Chris

Chris Mulford, RN, IBCLC
LLL Leader Reserve
working for WIC in South Jersey (Eastern USA)
Co-coordinator, Women & Work Task Force, WABA