From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 10:17:35 -0700
At 10:33 AM 4/1/96, Ruth Wilson wrote:
>I remember a post on Zoloft (I think) recently I can't find it anywhere in
>my files was I dreaming ? Have a mom who is being treated with Zoloft for
>Turette's
>syndrome and wishes to brf.....any one out there have current info ?

I don';t have current info- as I did research into this about two years ago
for myself.  I was off Zoloft for the first four months of pregnancy and
then back on at 25 mg daily.  (tiny dose)  For some reason I've worked my
way back up to 50 mg.  My nursing daughter is 16.5 months old and seems to
have no problems with the dose.  In my experince (PDR, pharmacists,
manufacturer...) it is one that is most widely accepted for use during
lactation.  My daughter's physician ( A DO) feels it's not a problem as
"you can raise serotonin levels by swinging in a swing".   It  too am
interested in keeping abreast of antidepressants and lactation so any other
data would be of great interest to me.

I, btw, am a reproductive physiologist and a biochemist.  (although not
practicing either right now.)  I intend to go to osteopathic college to
become a family practioner after my daughter grows up (and a sibling she
has yet to have.)  I have considered attending massage school in the
meantime but we don't have a local parttime day program so I've stalled for
now.  I tend to lurk on this list and have learned a ton.  I also sell (and
sometimes make) baby slings and nursing clothes so I come into contact with
a lot of pregnant and nursing moms.  Generally I refer woman to a friend
who is a lactation educator (and an RN...:-)  )  but I'm trying to learn
all I can.  I have also assisted Richard Jones in gathering some data for
his new edition of "Human Reproductive Biology:"- a textbook- via Medline
searches.  Trying to get good accurate information to undergraduates here
at the University of Colorado at Boulder...

.Any one know why it would be used prenatally but NOT
>acceptable postpartum. wouldn't fetus be at greater risk for exposure
>through placenta as opposed through GI tract and Breast ?

I have never heard this... tell me more if you hear it.

Kate

IIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIDDDD
As a global goal for optimal maternal & child health & nutrition, all women
should be enabled to practice exclusive breastfeeding & all infants should
be fed exclusively on breastmilk from birth to 4-6 mos of age.  Thereafter
children should continue to be breastfed, while receiving appropriate &
adequate complementary foods, for up to two years of age or beyond...
Efforts should be made to increase women's confidence in their ability to
breastfeed.  This involves the removal of constraints & influences that
manipulate perceptions & behavior towards breastfeeding, often by subtle &
indirect means.  Obstacles to breastfeeding within the health system, the
workplace & the community must be eliminated.-  Innocenti Declaration, 1991

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/Home.html - Kate's home page
IIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIDDD