Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:03:24 +0000
Jan - you ask about the differences in rates of bf and excl bf
worldwide over the past 5 to 10 years.

I am away from home at the moment with intermittent web access at
present, so linking is hard work, but you can find UK bf figures on
the web, which show a clear increase in breastfeeding initiation over
this period.

Incidence of breastfeeding has also increased - that is, mothers
breastfeed for longer. However, I think I am correct in saying that
there is more 'combined' feeding ie that mothers are continuing to bf
for longer *as well as using formula*.

Our exclusive breastfeeding rates are proving harder to improve.

How has this happened? A multitude of reasons among which I would cite:

* improved maternity leave
* UNICEF Baby Friendly Initiative
* government support for bf esp the impetus to get local health
authorities to monitor and report breastfeeding rates,  and to name
and shame the ones whose statistics collection is poor quality
* continued activity of the volunteer and advocacy organisations

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK
--
http://www.heatherwelford.co.uk