From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 22:01:20 -0400
Dear Kathy:  You asked for pharmacist input, but I have a few comments
based on my dermatology experiences.  Cordran is a fairly potent steroid
cream, if I remember correctly (I couldn't find it in the PDR).  The main
factors influencing absorption of topical skin creams are the potency of
the drug, the surface area of skin and the degree of inflammation of the
rash (the more inflammation, the greater the blood flow, increasing
absorption).  Even if this was very severe and widespread, I believe the
steroid would need to be applied to extensive body surfaces (such as in
widespread severe psoriasis) to get significant absorption.  As you
pointed out, prednisone by mouth is compatible with breastfeeding, and
the amount in breast milk must be much higher than from skin absorption.
I wonder whether a less potent steroid had been tried.  If not, that
might be an option if the mother was still concerned.  I'll be interested
in comments from the pharmacists among us.  Alicia.  [log in to unmask]