From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 18:19:14 EST
Here's a copy of my letter to USPS about the breastfeeding stamp.
Gentlemen:
Thank you for this opportunity to suggest a concept for a USPS stamp.

As a breastfeeding advocate (and mother of three breastfed children) I
have long wanted to see breastfeeding depicted on a postage stamp.  The
"Celebrate the Century" contest brings to mind an organization that was
founded in the 1950's: La Leche League INternational (LLLI).  LLLI was
founded in 1956 to provide mothers with breastfeeding information and
support at a time when our national breastfeeding rates had fallen to an
all time low.  The mother-to-mother support offered by LLLI is invaluable
in helping mothers obtain their goal of "good mothering through
breastfeeding."

Please help the nation accomplish the "Healthy People 2000" goal: that at
least 75% of all mothers initiate breastfeeding and at least 50% continue
to breastfeed past six months.  The American Academy of Pediatrics new
policy statement (December 1997) summarizes the benefits of breastfeeding
to the infant, the mother and the nation.  The AAP "idenitifies
breastfeeding as the ideal method of feeding and nurturing infants and
recognizes breastfeeding as primary in achieving optimal infant  and
child growth and development."  The AAP would like pediatricians to
"encourage the media to portray breastfeeding as positive and the norm."

I believe that a USPS postage stamp would go far in promoting
breastfeeding to our nation.  Please join LLLI, the AAP, and
breastfeeding mothers and babies in the effort to spread the message that
breast is best.

Sincerely,
P.S. I am enclosing a press release about LLLI's 40th anniversary.

Feel free to copy, adapt, etc.
I typed this at work on a TYPEWRITER! SO1 so I had to retype it, sorry
for any and alltypos!
Best,
Pearl

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]