From:
Lisa O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2013 11:04:52 -0500
Thank you for all the stimulating discussion that has followed my original post.  I appreciate that this situation is not 'basic" and recognize that my posting was unclear.  What I was referencing was that those of you with experience with milk banks, accepting donor milk, etc. may have standardized guidelines that they follow with respect to transport of frozen breastmilk ; I guess that was what I thought was basic.  Looking back, I should not have made the "basic" comment.  I will plead fatigue as I am caring for an ill family member and operating on very little sleep these days.

I totally agree with the concerns around this situation and discussed this at length with the nurse involved who also appreciates the significant issues present and has had these discussions with the mother.  From what I can gather, it seems that the mother is prepared to proceed with her plan and the district nurse wants to support her the best she can recognizing the challenges involved.

The story apparently is that the mother has planned a vacation in the new year and plans to leave this area and travel via plane (approx. 6 hours away) to another area with her baby who will be six-months old at the time.  There the baby will be left in the care of grandparents with frozen breastmilk to feed the baby.  Mother is then going on vacation and plans on pumping to maintain her milk supply while she is away.  Again, she and the nurse involved have discussed the issues that this presents but the mother has chosen to move forward with her plan.

Respecting this mother's decision, we are left with questions on the safe transport of frozen breastmilk; are there guidelines that I can share with this mother? I have heard anecdotally that airport security may "test" the milk but I am unsure what this involves.  I would appreciate any advice you can offer.
Kindest regards,
Lisa