From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:16:26 -0700
I don't have my ILCA notes with me - they're at work - but one of the poster
sessions actually had in its abstract that they were surprised with the
percent (I think it was 17% but I may be wrong) of women who decided to
breastfeed IN the hospital.

Carol Melcher also has data that shows that in hospitals where breastfeeding
and skin to skin have become the norm - the number of moms exclusively
breastfeeding some months was GREATER than the number of moms who checked
into the hospital planning to breastfeed (even though they expected that
some moms, for medical reasons, would end up supplementing) because some
moms who planned NOT to breastfeed ended up breastfeeding after being in
such a supportive environment.

Now the other side of the story (or outside the hospital doors) those of us
who are out here, need to be "there" for moms once discharged - otherwise
they will quit breastfeeding as quickly as they chose to do so!

Jeanette Panchula, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA, USA