From:
Ann Slaughter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:22:44 -0600
We just finished JCAHO this past Sept.  One of the things we did in preperation and made a part of our Policy was " to place all EBM fresh or for freezing" in Zip Locked bags when brought in.  Each bottle of course was labeled with date, time and mom's name (using addressograph labels are great).  When mom brings milk in from home ( in Zip lock bag)  it is place in a new Zip lock bags, labeled with the date, time received and if it was fresh or frozen (for thawing).  Many times it is then placed in the deep freezer for later use if mom is unable to come frequently.

We have several babies/mother's milk in one refrigerator.  Although no other food is stored there.  I was told that it was the possibility of having "OLD" food left in the refrigerators and therefore the possibility of bacterial growth being introduced to the milk.   Also at one hospital I worked at, the staff food (left in the staff refrig. not used for EBM)  must be labeled and dated other wise it was discarded every 24-48 hours.  Also it was stated that no staff member could be responsible for checking each refrigerator every day for bad food in the patient's room.  Most of us clean our own "frig" frequently at home but public ones might be a problem.

Since it is used only for one patient at a time and if the EBM was bagged and kept separately from the food say in the freezer or door shelf or separate top shelf  maybe that would pass their requirements.  It might be worth checking into.

Just a thought.

Ann Slaughter RN, IBCLC (NICU)