From:
Annie Frisbie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2015 10:58:52 +0000
(Writing this as a fan, I have no stake in Mobile Lactation Consultant and
no connection to anyone who makes it or profits from it, and will receive
no benefit from them for posting this.  I'm just a paying customer.)

I've been using Mobile Lactation Consultant for close to 2 years now and
love it.  It works great for my purposes as an IBCLC doing home visits.  I
live in a small apartment and just don't have room to store files, so I was
drawn to the paperless aspect of electronic charting.  I have been very
happy with MLC and find that the developer is responsive whenever I've had
a technical glitch.

Prior to the visit, I can send the moms a link to do an online intake via
an app or the web.  We both get a link when they've filled it out.  This
save so much time during a consult!  Especially because they can also fill
out my HIPAA form as well.  Then I can literally walk in and get to work.
I also like the advance intake because I feel like it's enough of a hoop to
jump through that once they've done it they won't cancel on me.  With what
I have to pay for childcare, I can't afford last minute cancellations, and
I have found this to be just as effective an incentive as a deposit.

I have used it long enough that I know where all the fields are so charting
has become pretty intuitive at this point.  I can add documents, like PDF
info sheets, and I was able to import my superbill and make it editable
within the app, so I can fill that out right on the spot, too.  At the end
of the visit I can create a password-protected PDF to email to the client
with a copy of her chart and all the documents I want to include.  I can
also fax directly to the pediatrician (via a service called RapidFax that
converts emailed PDFs into faxes).

All my clients are organized by the month in which I saw them which makes
it easy to go back and find them again if I need to.  My brain works that
way--it's easier to remember details about someone if I can link them to
something external like a time of year.  Within their chart, I can generate
an email to them so I don't have to remember their email address.

Supposedly the client can go into the app via her own login to view her own
chart.  I haven't heard from any of my clients that they have done this so
I can't speak to the usability of this feature.  I joke that I wish their
diaper count/feeding log apps would sync with my app!  (Not really, I would
rather hear a narrative then see an app but all the moms seem to have an
app like that.)

I use Google Voice for my work-related phone calls, texts, and emails.  I
can chart those in MLC as well and I find the way it presents visits to be
intuitive and helpful.  I use an iPad mini with a bluetooth keyboard.  And
FWIW I use SquareUp for credit card payments.

Sometimes the mom can't figure out how to use MLC and then I just tell her
no worries, we can do it in person, it saves time but don't stress yourself
over it because it's not that big a deal to me.

I've had a few technical issues along the way but between the Facebook
support group and phone calls to the app's creator, I've gotten things
worked out.

I think that's it.  I haven't had any complaints about MLC and feel like my
paperless practice has been a logistical success.

Annie Frisbie IBCLC MA
Queens, NY USA
http://motheringbyinstinct.com