From:
Tara Guy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:08:42 -0600
I didn't post before, because I don't know of anything specific to
lactation..
ITP is an idiopathic (unknown cause - but likely autoimmune) disorder
characterized by very low platelets.
It has several treatments for extreme cases, including things such as
steriods and platelet transfusions, even splenectomy in rare cases.
I see it about once a year in our clinic, most cases spontaneously resolve
in 4-6 months, but the fear is for internal bleeding while the counts are so
low.  We have the kids avoid all contact sports, no gym classes, no bicycle
riding, even to the point with one child that we didn't want her getting out
in a car at all just in case... If they were in an accident, they would
quickly bleed to death, or sustain a traumatic brain bleed.

I don't know if breastfeeding would specifically help, but it sure won't
hurt, and it is great for mom/child to have that extra bonding during this
time of stress.  It can only help, but I don't know to what extent.

So, this is likely useless information for you, but I would tell her to go
ahead and nurse as often as they like.

Tara Guy, CHA/PA-C, HBCE, IBCLC
www.rockymountainbaby.com
helping mothers birth and parent from the heart

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."  Mahatma Ghandi

Checked by AVG.
7:10 AM