Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 09:22:47 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
In doing research on donor milk banks, plus trying to facilitate a mother-to-mother share and ship situation, I realized that the cost of breast milk is higher than what is paid. Equipment is very expensive to amortize over dispensed doses.  There's personnel and other overhead costs.  Then there's lab fees for the donors when required.  Then there's shipping - which I found was extremely expensive.  When a donor milk bank charges $4.00/ounce they are not making a profit. Most milk banks do lots of fund-raising and grant-writing to support their efforts.  Breast milk is not free. It costs someone.  But it is the right thing to do. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Leslie Stern
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:19 AM
Subject: How much per ounce or 30ml of Donor Breastmilk

Hi all,
I was at a great conference yesterday in Chapel Hill, NC -the Art of Breastfeeding and heard a presentation on Donor Milk Banking.  I was very impressed with the milk banking efforts around the world, but in particular, in Brazil and Europe.
I know that here locally at the milk bank at Wake Med Hospital in Raleigh NC, 1oz of pasteurized donor breastmilk costs $4.00!  I am really curious if anyone knows how that cost compares to other places in the US and around the world.  If you know, please post how much 1oz or 30ml is where you are.
Thanks so much for helping to satisfy my curiosity.  

Leslie Stern CNM, IBCLC
Durham, NC
############################

To unsubscribe from the LACTNET list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=CTNET&A=

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2