From:
June Eastman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 09:48:59 -0400
As someone who formerly had very large breasts, including a baby and long
> term breastfeeding experience, (Before having a reduction last year at age
> 45...)

I have to say that I didn't think it was the bras that made me miserable, it
was the breasts!!  Yes, some bras could be uncomfortable, and in some
circumstances added to the misery, but it was painful to have them. They
hurt my neck, shoulders and made moving at faster than a walk impossible
without a sports bra....even with sports bras I couldn't jump.

I personally decided to choose to wait until I was sure childbearing was
ended before opting for surgery, but I never would judge any large breasted
woman who decided to move forward with the surgery, for comfort and cultural
reasons.

It is true that our culture is overly focused, to a pathological levels on
breasts....however that fact doesn't change the reality of the situation for
the woman who  has to live with them and take a battering to her comfort and
self esteem.

As a smaller breasted woman, I can tell you I'm finally more comfortable
without bras!

There are many woman out there childbearing after reductions, and as the
surgery itself becomes more accepted and common, there will be more.
My experience with such women show a really varied success level, but to be
honest, its hard to tell when a woman weans because "I didn't have enough
milk.", if she really didn't have enough milk, or if has a case of perceived
insufficient milk syndrome, augmented by the warnings and expectations that
the surgery would effect her nursing experience.
Logically, I can expect that there "will" be effects on many women, but I
also have faith in the healing process, and the body's ability to repair
damaged ducts with the hormones that stimulate glandular growth during
menstrual cycles and periods.

What is "really" needed are good studies that follow these women through
multiple pregnancies and try to objectify the experience.  Until then, it's
guess work, and support the mom, and let's hope it works out.

June Eastman, IBCLC
Derry, New Hampshire

If our  culture didn't insist on bras, large breasts would be far more