From:
Diana Cassar-Uhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 00:00:05 -0500

Indeed, my pediatrician, who was really quite fabulous in many ways at the
beginning of our breastfeeding relationship, suggested...no, recommended at
our 6-month well check-up that I wean to formula, because I was "working too
hard."  He seemed to think that a mother on active duty in the military
shouldn't assume the burden of full-time breastfeeding her baby.

He was really in for a shocker when not a year later, I was still on active
duty, pregnant with my 2nd, and still nursing that little girl.  By the time
my son was born and I had gone back to work (tandem nursing), he knew better
than to suggest or recommend anything that wasn't completely supportive of
breastfeeding.

When he retired from the military and entered private practice, he invited
me to his ceremony and party -- and told me he learned from my example. :)
Hopefully, he isn't still encouraging busy mothers (because who among them
isn't busy!) to wean to formula "to make things easier."

--Diana in NY (now assigned to two younger pediatricians with children my
kids' ages...they think I'm crazy but let me do my thing)