From:
Camille Foretich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 13:12:20 -0500
Can we re-visit this topic?    The archives was truly overwhelming!
My reason for asking is, I'm writing a breastfeeding management article for
our staff entitled "Finish the First Breast First".

The Woolridge and Fisher article in the Lancet, August 13, 1988 states ...
"The protein and lactose concentrations in human milk remain fairly constant
during a feed, whereas the fat concentration of breast milk rises
consistently throughout (though individual feeds may not conform entirely.)

My question, or at least, what I thought was correct  ...  That there was
higher concentrations of protein and lactose in foremilk.  Is it that the
difference is that there is a higher quantity of foremilk that contains less
fat and that hindmilk contains the same amounts of protein and lactose as
foremilk but is less in quantity and higher in fat?

Thanks for your help and your patience.  Camille in Jackson, Mississippi, in
southern USA.