From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 09:45:38 -0400
Hi All, Coach Smith here again.

It may come as a shock to some people that babies and children are not "convenient." Of all the reasons for having children, "convenience" isn't usually at the top of the list.

Ascending my Soapbox: Leaving a baby for 10 weeks?? Or even 10 days? that would constitute "abandonment" in the baby's book. I've worked with military families where the active duty member is on special duty assignments, sometimes literally disappearing to unknown places for unknown lengths of time without any warning whatsoever. The effect on the spouse is usually horrible, and the effect on the children is unfathomable. The younger the child, the less they understand that "dad (or mom) will be back, someday."

Breastfeeding is only part of this issue! I would advise this mother to find some way, some how to TAKE THE BABY.  Or don't go.  Period.

Climbing down now....

Linda Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC - who moved cross-country 9 times with small children, sometimes living out of our car and motels for weeks at a time with all our "stuff" on a truck or in storage somewhere.
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre, Dayton OH
http://www.bflrc.com/bflrc.htm