From:
Philippa Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:05:55 -0500
Lechia's story reminds me of a call I had the other day from a pregnant
woman.  Her mother-in-law is "52 and menopausal" (her words).  MIL is
producing colostrum and thinks it would be fun to try to breastfeed the
baby.  After discussing the need for the MIL to tell her doctor about her
symptoms and to get her health checked, we discussed ownership of the baby.
MIL had not breastfed her son and seemed to want to make up for this with
grandchild.

Never before have I been so pleased that medication passes through
breastmilk.  MIL is on medication suitable for her age, but you wouldn't
your baby exposed to those would you?  Mother-to-be was pleased of a reason
to give her MIL that we hope won't alienate her.

The call was interesting and challenging, certainly not what I expected when
I picked up the phone.

Philippa Thomson
Information Officer, Lactation Resource Centre (writing form home as herself)