From:
Amir family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:52:42 +1000
Although we would all really like to think that artificial feeding is a
significant risk factor for SIDS - the evidence is not that strong.
Although artificial feeding may be a risk factor in some studies on
univariate analysis, once other factors (eg smoking) are taken into
consideration, feeding method is not significant.
Rates of SIDS have plummeted, largely due to change in sleeping position -
bf rates have not changed much in the last 10 years or so.
I represented the RACGP at a recent SIDS Australia meeting and had to do
some background reading to convince myself about this.
BTW the conclusion about the flat heads is "no problem". SIDS Australia is
working on a new statement which will prob say something about this.
Lisa Amir
MBBS, MMed, IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia