From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:56:10 +0200
Diane I enjoyed your comments re the differences that an ocean seems to
make!  I, too, love videos.  Have you seen the old UNICEF (BFHI?) one where
Kenyan women are hand expressing?  Interesting techniques and the milk
really whooshes out.

I encourage hand expression almost on a daily basis in the hospital.  We
hand express if baby is reluctant to feed and the paediatrician is getting
twitchy about glucose levels.  A taste of the good stuff often wakes baby up
enough to root and latch.  Mother's of prems begin with hand expression for
the first day, sometimes two - we use the colostrum as a mouth wash if baby
is nil-per-mouth.  All Baby-Friendly hospitals here are required to teach
mothers how to hand express before discharge.

A new hospital here has all mother purchase breastpumps.  They are often
pumping by day 2 or 3.   Most stop breastfeeding by one week!  Until
recently breastpumps were not that common here - obtainable, but not seen as
a requirement at the baby shower.  That has changed - and I can't see that
it's benefited mothers or babies.  Just a few thoughts...

And - our baby's cords get wet by being immersed in a bath!

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
South Africa   [log in to unmask]