Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 15:30:05 -0400
My hospital pharmacy rents the breast pumps.  Both of the regular clerks in
the pharmacy have been taught how to set it up.  If mom prefers, the clerks
or the pharmacist will page us and we will have mom come upstairs and we
will take a few minutes to give her directions and brief instructions.  We
probably get called once a month or so to help a mom, unless she wants a
whole appointment for back to work instructions, which we also do. She has
to set that up in advance.

One nice thing about our hospital (1500 births a year), is that if the
mother of a baby who is in Special Care cannot afford to rent a pump to take
home, the volunteer auxilliary (pink ladies) have a special fund and will
pay for the pump rental.  They pay for several pumps each month.  No mother
goes home without a double electric pump if her baby has to stay for
treatment.  We approached the auxilliary several years ago, and they agreed
to do this for the mothers and babies.

Ann Calandro,RNC,IBCLC
Piedmont Medical Center
Rock Hill, South Carolina