From:
Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 22:46:14 +1000
Hi everyone,
I have been interested to read the discussion about Bradley Method, and EZZO.  I hadn't heard about them - but perhaps we are a bit backward "down under"?
I have been a midwife in hospitals for many years, and now I am in independent midwifery practice.  I learnt Lamaze in the early 70s, and taught it in childbirth ed for a while.  Now I don't teach any method.  I use all the midwifery skills - continuity of carer, trust, touch, voice, eye contact, massage, encouraging optimal positioning of the fetus prior to labour; and the non-medical forms of support in birthing - being active, water (shower, tub), familiar environment, the big ball - all with the aim of empowering the woman in her birthing process.
The woman will usually work with her body as long as she believes that she is OK.
The best commentary I have read on appropriate care in childbirth was  with reference to breastfeeding, by Dr France Donnay of UNICEF, in the foreword to the book "Baby Friendly Mother Friendly" (Murray 1996.  Pub Mosby).  She said "Baby Friendly hospitals, models of maternity care in settings around the world, create environments that restore to women their authority for breastfeeding, their own natural resource."

I believe it is the role of maternity care providers to acknowledge the woman's authority for her body, and to work to restore her confidence in her body's (including her breast's) ability.

Just as there are hospital practices which have been shown to have an adverse impact on breastfeeding, there are many hospital/professional situations which disempower women.  We who provide professional care need to constantly review and challenge our practices with this in mind.

When I attend a woman birthing in her home there are many powerful aspects of the care which impact on bonding and breastfeeding.  The mother knows her carers, and there is a partnership built up before the birth.  Narcotics are not used, so there is no chemical depression of the mother's or baby's responses.  The baby goes to the breast, usually before the cord is cut, and is not taken away.  The mother is the decision-maker; the midwife is her advisor.

Thanks for the opportunity to share these thoughts.
Joy Johnston
Melbourne Australia