From:
Laura Wasielewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 19:29:00 -0400
I have an inexpensive scale that rounds to the nearest 10g. This has been fine for weight trending in term infants & very occasionally I have used it for ac/pc weights in healthy, term infants. I tried to use it for about 6 hours with my own late preterm son who we took home from NICU at 37 3/7 weeks adjusted age & just under 6 lbs. The less accurate scale just didn't work for me. He was only transferring 10-45ml/ feeding so those little amounts *really* mattered. Not to mention it was depressing when the scale said he took nothing, even 3ml is better than nothing! The more accurate scale could show me those precious 3ml. I ended up renting a M*d*l* scale from our local hospital so I could really know how much he was getting & how much I was making. We didn't need to use it for long but it was invaluable for those few days that we did. Pre & post feeding weights with a 2g accurate scale also helped us get out of the hospital faster too.

So my two cents, I kind of think the expensive scale is worth it. Most moms & babies don't need that degree of accuracy in a scale. But isn't it the ones with problems that might need very accurate test weighing that will be calling us in the first place?

I wonder if my answer to this question would have been different 3 weeks ago;-)

-Laura Wasielewski MS, CCC-SLP, IBCLC
Los Angeles, CA, where above mentioned preterm son is now nursing exclusively & more than a pound over birthweight at 39 2/7 weeks adjusted age!