Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:38:22 -0600
There is debate on the issue of milk pumped when a mother and/or baby have
a yeast overgrowth.  Freezing doesn't kill yeast--that we know, but whether
that milk can re-infect an infant is unknown.  I beleive that if the infant
has a strong immune system, she wouldn't be infected by the excess yeast in
the milk.

But, who am I to say whether a given baby has a strong, healthy immune
system, especially if it wasn't long ago that she was battling an inbalance
in her GI tract.  So I recommend erring on the side of caution.  I suggest
that a mother scald her milk (bringing it to a simmer in a pot, until there
are bubbles around the edge), then letting it come to serving temperature
before feeding it to the baby.  ( I add that last part because...Well you
know why.) Yeast is so unstable in heat that she doesn't need to heat it
for a long time. I do recommend that she do this in a pot so that effective
heating is throughout.

This is

After a mother and baby have worked so hard to resolve the yeast problem we
don't want to do anything to tip the balance again.  I certainly don't
recommend throwing it away.  I suggest that the mother use the milk that
she has scalded a couple of times a day at most, so that most of what her
baby is getting every day is the fresh stuff, with the properties that may
be lost in the heating of the frozen milk. If she is working and leaving a
lot of pumped milk, she can, each day, include a couple of bottles
containing milk that she has scalded.

I'm sure that for most babies, all of this is unnecessary, but I don't know
which babies those are. My clients seem relieved that they don't have to
throw out their hard-earned milk, and are especially relieved that they
won't be increasing their chance a recurrence.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee Wisconsin