From:
"McDermott, Chan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 13:09:38 -0600
I have very mixed feelings onthe topic of moms on Lactnet--on one
hand, I can see a real problem if Lactnet becomes a forum for
numerous moms/dads/aunts/grandparents, etc writing in w/ various
questions.  I agree that the professionalism of Lactnet needs to be
maintained, and that this is a unique, RAPID forum for the exchange
of professional opinions.  I also agree that in no way should
Lactnetters promote Lactnet directly to "consumers" or moms.  But,
OTOH, I think that Jody's point that we can't separate moms from
"interested parties" is very well taken.  I guess I think that if a
mom (or whomever) is motivated/resourceful enough to seek out Lactnet
on her own, then s/he definitely qualifies as an interested party.

Finally, several years ago I coordinated a project for Texas WIC News called
the Experts Panel, where various BF experts answered questionnaires
about different breastfeeding topics (thank you, Experts, for your
timely, well-thought-out responses.)  In reviewing the
autobiographical information submitted by the experts, I was struck by
how many started down the path to lactation expertise as young
mothers with breastfeeding problems or complications who were just trying to
get their questions answered.  Just something to remember!