From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 07:57:14 -0400
Dear Karleen, In the broadest sense of the words, all IBCLCs are HCPs
(health care providers).  As someone else mentioned HCPs come in all types
(doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners(NP), respiratory therapists,
dieticians, speech therapists, psychologists,  etc.).  Each type has their
own credentialing process, provide their own "magic initials" and stand
alone.  Someone with multiple certifications- is just that - someone with
multiple certifications.

Sometimes that is a major advantage (MDs and NPs can write their own Rxs and
RNs and psychologists can't).  There is a program in NJ that is angering
many in nursing, psychologists are taking an abbreviated RN to NP course so
they can write Rxs.  So it is not just IBCLCs who are having identity
problems :-)

Personally I find that many IBCLCs are functioning on a level comparable to
an NP and I find that very interesting with many implications for the
future.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ (with lots of "magic initials")