Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:41:05 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I would not assume that these women had no desire to offend anyone (nor would I assume that they did). From a marketing perspective, however, their choice would have been considered inappropriate by any expert.  Much as I find the name degrading to women, I am more annoyed by the approach these women take overall, which is that the comfort of others should be a deciding factor in whether or not women wear what I consider to be ugly, obnoxious, and cumbersome tents over their bodies while breastfeeding. I cannot imagine having sat in one place with some contraption while breastfeeding my children (especially once I had more than one). This kind of thing only serves to make breastfeeding more difficult, not more possible for women.

I agree with Teresa that when we as breastfeeding advocates present an idea, we are inherently advocating for that idea. I have noticed that as breastfeeding is more publicly promoted, there is more and more of this kind of attempt to cover it up. I dread the idea of a cultural move toward breastfeeding that includes the expectation that women must not offend anyone.

I see this as similar to the use of epidurals. We may argue that we are meeting the demand of women by educating about and offering these drugs, and today that may well be true. But, how was that demand created? I would contend that it primarily came from childbirth educators including such "information" in their classes, believing that women would want to know. I think that anyone who is responsible for educating women is also responsible for creating the environment in which women will birth and nurture their babies. I approach all education from the perspective of the biological norm. I make no assumption that women are uncomfortable with their bodies, with breastfeeding or with giving birth. If they are, it will become evident and can be addressed individually, but to present drugs, bottles or tents as just another normal option creates the demand for those options. 
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2