From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 16:22:39 -0700
I just got a call from a mother who has a 3 week old baby and has had
quite a struggle with thrush since the baby was a few days old.  It has
gone on much longer than was necessary because of the internist here who
passes himself off as being a FP and tries to do peds.  Among his great
advice was telling her that once her nipples were cleared up she didn't
need to treat them anymore, even though the baby still had symptoms.
Now he says that the baby, who has a fungal diaper rash and a white
coated tongue, doesn't have thrush because there are no white spots on
the insides of his cheeks!

Since they've already been struggling with it so long, I recommended
that both mother and baby go ahead and take diflucan.  However, I have
little experience using it with babies, and none with newborns.  Does
anyone else have experience?  I am also wondering if one dose should be
expected to clear up the baby's mouth or if more than one would be
preferable.

Thanks!
Darillyn