From:
Jim Braun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 16:43:35 EDT
Dear Lactnetters,
        We have an issue at our hospital that I would appreciate any info from
other hospital protocols.  Our policy states that a baby will be NPO for 1 hr
prior to his circumcision.  I was told at the Georgetown Course that in the
first 24 hrs, colostrum production is approx. 37 cc.  Does anyone have any
references that would validate this information?  Do any of you keep infant's
NPO prior to circs?  Do people routinely do glucose sticks on newborns?  Again,
any literature to validate this if you don't?  It is so helpful to know what the
rest of the world is doing as a bench mark for our policies.

Thanks,
A lurker (that sounds so sinister) who has a minute to post
Kathy Braun, RN, MSN, IBCLC
Cincinnati, OH