From:
Nancy Mohrbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 22:07:39 -0500
  Hi Amy,

In answer to your question about early vitamin supplementation and
allergy, the following is an excerpt from my 2010 tome, Breastfeeding
Answers Made Simple (p. 244):

One preliminary Swedish study of 206 babies found an association with
vitamin D intake during the first year of life and increased risk of
allergy independent of family history (Back, Blomquist, Hernell, &
Stenberg, 2009). A U.S. study found that early vitamin use was
associated with a higher risk of allergy among exclusively formula-fed
African-American babies (Milner, Stein, McCarter, & Moon, 2004)

Back, O., Blomquist, H. K., Hernell, O., & Stenberg, B. (2009). Does
vitamin D intake during infancy promote the
development of atopic allergy? /Acta Dermato-Venereologica, 89/(1), 28-32.

Milner, J. D., Stein, D. M., McCarter, R., & Moon, R. Y. (2004). Early
infant multivitamin supplementation is associated with increased risk
for food allergy and asthma. /Pediatrics, 114/(1), 27-32.

Warm regards,

Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC, FILCA, LLL
Lactation Consultant, Ameda Breastfeeding Products
Chicago suburbs
www.NancyMohrbacher.com <http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/>